How YOU Can Reach the Alpha Level - Easily and Naturally
But what happens if you don't have the audio handy? Is it possible to reach alpha naturally?
The answer is yes - and it requires only a little but of practice.
The technique here is different from the one we use at Silva seminars. Because you will be doing this without the benefit of a guide the technique will be a little slower than the one we use at class. But you should have no problems with it.
The first thing to remember is that we all go into the alpha several times daily. You are in alpha in the morning when you just wake up and again at night just before falling asleep. The alpha level is nothing mysterious or unattainable.
The easiest time to reach the alpha level is in the morning when you just wake up. So for the next few days we will ask you to practice the centering exercise in the morning.
Here is all you have to do to reach the Alpha level and Center yourself. Read and reread the instructions that follow until you understand them and start the exercise the following morning.
The Technique for Reaching Alpha
The exercise will be done in the morning when you have just woken up and it will take fifteen minutes.
As soon as you wake up, brush your teeth and use the bathroom if necessary. Then set your alarm for fifteen minutes later in case you fall asleep during the exercise.
Now sit in a comfortable chair or your bed with you feet flat on the ground. If you prefer, you can sit in a classic meditation lotus position. Hold your head well balanced, not slumped.
Close your eyes and look upwards, behind your eyelids, at a 20 degree angle.
Jose Silva found that positioning your eyeballs to look 20 degrees above the horizontal line of sight seems to help induce the alpha level.
Now concentrate on first one part of your body, then another, to consciously relax it. Starting with your scalp, slowly move down your body and feel each part of your body slowly relaxing and releasing tension.
Beginning with your scalp move the focus of your attention to your forehead, then face, throat, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, chest, abdomen, hips, thighs, knees, calves, feet, heels, soles, and finally toes. Consciously feel each of these parts relaxing. If it helps, imagine each part as a balloon and imagine the balloon gently deflating as air rushes out of it. Feel each part go loose and limp like a deflated balloon.
At this point, you will learn two routines, one to reach alpha and the other to come out of it. The routine to reach alpha is to slowly count backwards from 100 to 1. There is nothing complicated about this. Just count backwards from 100 to 1 and feel yourself going deeper and deeper into the alpha level. As you count backwards you will yourself get more relaxed, this is a good sign and it means you’re approaching alpha.
Now to come out of alpha you repeat the affirmation
I am going to count from one to five. At the count of five I will be wide awake, feeling fine, in perfect health, feeling better than before. One – two – three – at the count of five I will be wide awake, feeling fine and in perfect health, feeling better than before – four - five – (open your eyes) eyes open, feeling fine and in perfect health, feeling better than before.
Memorize this affirmation before you begin your first session.
When you first start practicing you will have to count from 100 to 1 to reach alpha.
After 10 days you will be ready to make this process more efficient. Now you can reach alpha by counting backwards from 50 to 1. Do this for another 10 days.
Once you complete this, for the next 10 days you can reach alpha by counting backwards from 25 – 1. Again do this for 10 days.
On the final 10 days you will be able to reach alpha by counting backwards from 10 to 1.
After ten days of using the 10 – 1 countdown, you should be able to reach alpha by simply counting from 5 – 1. At this point you no longer have to limit your practice to the mornings and will be able to reach alpha any time of the day.
Congratulations, you have now learned to meditate.
Now let’s look at these steps in order.
Going to Alpha – A Step by Step Guide
1. Upon waking up in the go to the bathroom if you have to then hop back in bed but sit upright. Set your alarm clock to ring in fifteen minutes in case you fall asleep. Make yourself comfortable, but too comfortable – you don’t want to fall asleep again.
2. With your eyelids shut, turn your eyes upwards about 20 degrees. Research has shown that this triggers more alpha rhythm in the brain.
3. Begin counting backwards from 100 to 1 for the first ten days. You can then reduce this to 50 – 1, 25 – 1 and final 10 – 1 for each 10 day block. By then end of the 40 days you will be able to reach alpha by simply counting backward from 5 – 1.
4. You are now in the alpha level. At this point you can practice the exercises described in the rest of this book.
5. When you’re done – simple count forward from 1 – 5 using the affirmations I am going to count from one to five. At the count of five I will be wide awake, feeling fine, in perfect health, feeling better than before. One – two – three – at the count of five I will be wide awake, feeling fine and in perfect health, feeling better than before – four - five – (open your eyes) eyes open, feeling fine and in perfect health, feeling better than before.
In general, we recommend staying at the Alpha level for 15 minutes.
Now before you forget, set your alarm clock for 15 minutes earlier than usual tomorrow so you will have time to practice the Silva Centering Exercise.
Please remember, the secret to success is discipline. Practice makes perfect. This is no different from training your physical body and getting into shape. If you exercise your body only once per month you get very different results than if you exercise daily. The same principle applies when you train and exercise your mind.
The more you go into alpha, learn to visualize, relax, and tune into your intuition, the healthier, and better your life becomes.